Thursday, January 17, 2008

BUZZ

Wong, Janet S. Buzz. Illus. Margaret Chodos-Irvine. Orlando FL: Voyager Books/Harcourt, Inc., 2000.
This illustrations in this book are really cute (that is in fact a literary term!) and endearing. I love when the little boy uses his toy car as a razor as he watches his dad shave. Small children will easily be able to relate to the main character. Many students will remember saying goodbye to their parents as they left for work.
The grandma coming over and taking care of the little boy was the part that stood out to me. My husband and I both work full-time and my mom takes care of my son, which I think is very common in the Hispanic culture. Students with this background, in particular, might find that this aspect of the book mirrors a part of their own upbringing.

0 comments: